An Icon was Born in 1913 the Company has developed into an inconic brand equal to high performance and elegance. 1914 was “Aston Martin” Martin’s successful run at The Aston hill Climb in Buckinghamshire, England. By 1920, it relocated to Kensingtion. They began production of a four-cylinder Coventry-Simplex Engine and the chassis of a 1908 Isotta-Fraschini. They came up with the name ‘Aston Martin’ for their Brand.
The name “Aston” was taken from Aston Hills and “Martin” , from Lionel Martin. Company decided to begin mass production but due to World War I, they were unable to. After the war, both Martin and Robert decided to re-establish the company and reinovate their car designs.
In Grand Prix 1992, Aston Martin took initial steps in an overseas competition and 2 cars crossed the finished line. Financial problems caused the business force to close in 1925 but was rescued by some investors in 1926 who formed ‘Aston Martin Motors Ltd.” Lady Charnwood, with Bill Renwick bought the company, but failed again. One year later, the factory closed and this forced Martin to leave the business as well. The business was soon on a sound footing, with a number of sports cars beng built. and increase in reputation for engineering and designing. This leas to the first entry of Astin Martin in the Le Mans 24 hours race in 1928.
Increase in Production
L. Pideaux Brune took over the company, who then passed it on the Arthur Sutherland. It was during this time, the company decided to start mass-producing road Aston Martin cars. Aston Martin won a great acclaim at Le Mans when the 1.5 litre model won with a huge victory in 1933’s race. The road production increased throughout 1930 and 140 cars built in 1937, the highest number of produce before the war. Atom model was produced in 1939 which was a prototype that was built using avant grade space frame chassis and suspensions.
Relocation of Production
Because of World War II, the company stopped work and had to suffer financial difficulties. In 1947, David Brown took over the company and introduced cars to get the company back on its feet. In 1950, the Aston Martin announced the start of it’s DB series and in 1958 released the DB Mark II, DB2/4 Mark II, and DB2/4 cars. An English industrialist overtook and it expanded with the next few years, again relocated to Hanworth Park, Feltham, Middlesex County. It was moved to Pagnell in 1955 and it became the home to the cars discussed above till 1958.
Going towards Victory
50’s ended with racing success and all 50s models helped Aston Martin establish a strong reputation in Britain. Therefore, the company soon made a strong comeback. Aston Martin made DB5 and DBS and DB6 vehicles. Away from the circuit, DB4GT-a high performance version of DB4 was launched which wad the foundation to collaboration with the famous Italian brand ‘Zagato’ which then launched the DB4 Zagato. DB5 was launched in 1963. Three years later, it was sold again to another company, following a $1.05 million debt. The DB5 was chosen to be the Iconic car in the James Bond’s famous movie “Goldfinger”. After this success, DB6 and DBS were launched in the following year 1965 and 67.
Chnage in Ownership
“Company Developments Ltd” took over Aston Martin in 1972 but the production continued and V8 was manufactured in the same year. After 3 years, the company enetered Receivership and was rescued by three people, namely: Peter Sprague, Alan Curtis & George Minden. The first car that was re introduced after the new ownership was the Laconda. Company used a turn-around strategy, and recruited over 360 new employees. In 1977, company went into finally letting go of the ‘grand tourer’ style and modernize its production-line. It was the 80s, and Aston Martin decided to purchase the popular company MG, with plans to manufacture a new vehicle which would be an upgraded version of the famous MGB. However, this decision never moved forward, as the company suffered badly due to the economic crisis of the 80s, and once again had drowned into failure. The owner were changed again in 1981. Further investments were made through partnerships with “Livanos Shipping Family”.
Going towards the Future
V8 Zagato was produced as the collaboration revived. V8 Volante was produced and the 007 relation enchanced as it was featured in “Living Daylights”. Regardless, the days of financial difficulty for the company are gone and now the revenue of Aston Martin has exceeded £474.3 million.
Future is Now
The new millenium began with a new Chairman and Chief Executive, Dr. Ulrich Bez as well as the 5.3 litre V8 Engine that was designed by Tradek Marek, came to an end. In 2001, Five thousand DB7 were completed and sold off and V12 Vanquish was launched which appeared with Pierce Brosnan in “Die Another Day”. Aston Martin was created over 102 years ago and is now of the world’s most popular car manufacturers.